Fixing characters that don't show

Tutorials about compatibility, tools, etc

Moderator: Moderator

UmbreonLover

Fixing characters that don't show

Post by UmbreonLover »

Tired of searching, or seeing the same stupid title that reflect the same issues? Search no more and link those people to this thread. If they are willing to fix it, they will fix it with this tutorial. However, if they want you to fix the issue, that's sounds like a they problem than a you problem.

The most common titles you might find are as follow:
  • Characters won’t show
  • Characters not appearing
  • Characters is not in selection
  • Character won't run, or be seen
  • Characters can't be pick
All the common issues images can be found here:

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/folder/jxkVkISC#hbhU8o1NbectefRQcvc39A 
The most common issued is "The folder name doesn't match the "***.def"
Image:

https://mega.nz/file/TxtFGKIR#d6ud3__g0yB3pNB78qBgeld1Ukm0unV6N56fEqQlKVc
Solution
► Show Spoiler
The second most common issued is "You never added the character in "select.def"
Image:

https://mega.nz/file/T48iDaoD#8fB34aWRCph2-soKF8MMIrMcK0A7Moq592OUR5hZWmI
Solution
► Show Spoiler
An extreme common problem are:
  • Characters are not support with old versions.
  • Characters has issues with graphics, because I'm using an old version.
  • Only support for Ikemen-GO
Image:

https://mega.nz/file/65FnjRpC#ZEFhyCQcM-QKenjOqr9-wkt5s6U3lPeOs-7Q5eEXIBk
Solution
► Show Spoiler
I visit this forum when I remember I exist!
ddlnll

Re: Fixing characters that don't show

Post by ddlnll »

Both the questioner and the answerer are a lot easier by posting link to this page.
Nice tutorial.
UmbreonLover

Post by UmbreonLover »

Thanks, because it's quite annoying to see many thread being created for the same issues. So, instead of always writing the same thing over and over again. Send them the link, and they should fix the issued. If they can't, upgrade, and if that doesn't work, then the character itself doesn't work at all.
BobbySharks
Creator
Creator

Post by BobbySharks »

Part of the upload rules for MA was asking the uploader to ensure folder and files were both named properly. Every now and then it might slip through and it was rare. HCM seems to have no such quality control measure.

My uploads get removed despite me putting in 100% effort to properly document everything and add in bonus easter eggs.

Meanwhile lazy people get away with uploading faulty characters that don't immediately function properly.
UmbreonLover

Post by UmbreonLover »

BobbySharks wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:05 am My uploads get removed despite me putting in 100% effort to properly document everything and add in bonus easter eggs.

Meanwhile lazy people get away with uploading faulty characters that don't immediately function properly.
HCM don't follow any standard, nor any rules when it comes to uploading a character/project. Heck, the copyright strikes/Flag system is so broken that anyone can fake claim a character and knock it down; in this case, that's what happen to you with the crybaby preferences.

I truly made this thread / tutorial for those lazy, irresponsible creators that can't put in the little details on what program these characters are supported for, and if they are support for old version; same goes with renaming the folder with the file name. Sometimes, its not the creator fault, but the user itself that may not know how to add a character into the game. Which is why I only add the 3 most common errors you may encounter. Other errors may happens, but those are more often towards the developer side, or the editor side.
BobbySharks
Creator
Creator

Post by BobbySharks »

This is why I would vote for you rather than myself as moderating HCM. But now it's gotten to the point I wouldn't try to put you in that position because I see this website HCM like a sinking ship. I wouldn't put someone I consider a friend in that position on a sinking ship.

This is what happens when you try to create an "alternative" for something and end up providing something that ends up being WORSE than what you were trying to replace.

I'm still waiting on an apology from HCM AJ, even though I know that scumbag dog fucker doesn't have an ounce of character or a shred of dignity.
UmbreonLover

Post by UmbreonLover »

BobbySharks wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:28 pm This is why I would vote for you rather than myself as moderating HCM. But now it's gotten to the point I wouldn't try to put you in that position because I see this website HCM like a sinking ship. I wouldn't put someone I consider a friend in that position on a sinking ship.

This is what happens when you try to create an "alternative" for something and end up providing something that ends up being WORSE than what you were trying to replace.

I'm still waiting on an apology from HCM AJ, even though I know that scumbag dog fucker doesn't have an ounce of character or a shred of dignity.
Like the pirate loves to yell out. "Caption goes down with its ship!" and if you are going to be waiting for that apology from AJ. You might as well buy some icepad while sitting on pillows, because it may never happen, or it take years for it to happen haha!
Tetchi

Post by Tetchi »

Thanks for the guide, it is a detailed explanation and leaves nothing without leaving doubts.

Hopefully they can pin the message, that would help all the wonderers who never read, but hopefully I hope they read it, valuable information not to be received.

UmbreonLover as moderator, you would be in your environment my vote for you and bobbysharks as a dumbbell.
http://tetchi2015.blog.2nt.com
Zeb2345 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:33 pmthe fucking master
UmbreonLover wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:57 amneeds to be rewards with...
UmbreonLover

Post by UmbreonLover »

Even if the lazy staff don't pin this, and you found someone begging for help related to this topic. A simple "copy & paste" link is all it takes to assist them. Because we all know Mugen 1.0 has issues when it comes towards graphics, and many people use 1.0 for some odd reason; which is why they always have problem running some characters lol
Arsha

Post by Arsha »

Mods, this thread should be pinned. Its good.